Friday, March 16, 2007

March Madness (from my point of view)


I don't know if a lot of women get into March Madness, that is the NCAA Basketball Tournament for Championship. I don't know all the lingo, I definitely don't know all the teams, but I sure do love to participate. My husband and I fill out our brackets every year together and then have a fun time finding out if we picked the right teams. I can predict right now, that my hubby will get invited to all these get-togethers with his guy friends to watch the basketball games and stuff, and will they invite the wives? Probably not, I'll be stuck at home watching the game, thank you very much! Husbands should invovle their wives in these things, but I am sure that most women are like "I don't want to watch the stinkin games." But that is where I come in.

I want to show you it's super fun, it's like a game. I haven't paid attention all year long to any teams, players, coaches, all that stuff. But it's a fun game to pick which team you think will win or which team will upset and then watching the games is fun because you have someone to root for and have some interest in the game. It's also a competition between you and your hubby, especially if you pick different teams. So I am going to be documenting this little March Madness adventure on my blog. If any women want to participate with me, print out your tournament bracket here, find the tv guide schedule here (or check your local CBS listing), read blogs about the different teams if you want to make an informed guess, and throw a march madness party, maybe just for the girls (your hubby will be impressed).













Right now what I am thinking about:
TheArizona/Purdue game, they are matched up pretty evenly, another guy's blog said "Arizona has been an enigma all season long, as they have the offensive talent to beat anyone in the country but lack focus defensively and have not played to their potential. Purdue is very methodical in their offense, although their inside-outside combo of David Teague and Carl Landry is tough. Arizona struggles to defend the interior, so Landry will be they key to this game."
So I chose Arizona

Another one is Creighton vs. Nevada. Of course I have to root for Creighton, they are from Nebraska, the underdogs in a sense, and I don't think peopel put much thought into them. I am hoping they can pull it off.

Other games I am interested in watching because I couldn't figure out who the better team was:
Notre Dame vs. Winthrop - Notre Dame ranked 6th while Winthrop 11th, but some experts predict an upset. I am hoping for one.
UNLV vs. Georgia Tech - UNLV ranked 7th with a record of 28-6 while G Tech ranked 10th with a record of 20-11, some experts are predicting an upset here too, I just feel some sort of nostalgia towards G Tech because I've visited the campus and bought my hubby a G Tech baseball shirt (their bbal team wasn't impressive at that time)

Kentucky vs. Villanova
- this is like the best match up of 8th and 9th ranked teams. I am rooting for Kentucky, but not sure why. I think last year, Villanova was more impressive that I gave them credit for on my bracket, but I have a friend that lived in Kentucky for a while, so my girl mind is going with them right now.

So yeah, I am still a girl obviously by the way I pick my teams, but it is called March Madness for a reason, anything can happen, we'll just see how well I picked the teams.
My friend Jan is doing March Madness also, check out her blog listed on the side of my page :).

Which teams are you rooting for?

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi Julie! I too have filled out my brackets, and I am definately a girl about it. I pick my teams by their mascots names and weather or not I like them. So not sports oriented, and the least bit. But, it too for me is a fun competition with the hubby, and I am very competitive. We have ours listed on the ESPN website, and I like checking to see if I am beating him or not! Can't wait until the finals. This is one sport thing I do like to get into!! Great post! Thanks!!

Julie Luse said...

Wendy, that is so fun! I just love it, I can't imagine what our guy-friends must think the way us (women) pick our teams. It will be funny when our intuition beats their masculinity in the finals, argh, argh, argh! :)

Amber said...

This is IMPRESSIVE! I have NO idea about any of the teams and my hubby's was knocked out in the first round so I doubt we'll have it on much. I still remember the year I was forced into a gambling pool and work because all the guys thought they could get this ignorant chick's money...and I won the whole thing... :-)

Wendy said...

Allright ladies! Keep me updated on your progress. As of right now I am tied with him, but well see after these four games end tonight.....

Stephanie Wilson she/her @babysteph said...

Wow- I didn't realize so many people were into the March Madness thing! Hope your teams do well!

Join my Photo Tag going on! Hope you’d like to play along and post about the shoes you can't live without!

Steph

Ronnie said...

Julie,

My bracket was a mess the first weekend, but I'm thrilled to see the Gators make the Final Four. Joakim Noah speaks for all of here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ3y5hTHuP4