Wednesday, August 22, 2007

known

Have you ever recieved an e-mail that is full of questions about you to answer and send out to others? Asking questions like: If you could be any flower what would you be? It's usually followed by the person who sent it to you's answers on it. Or the even cheesier questions sent around on myspace bulletins or blog messages asking you to tell the world how many lovers you've had and your favorite beverage. Not to diss those of my friends that really do this, I fight the urge daily not to fill it out and send it so that everyone can see how quirky, sweet or mysterious I can be.

Why do we do these things? Do we really care that others know our favorite bubble gum flavor? Do we want Amens and applause over how many pets we've owned? Do we send out our secrets and our pasts expecting people to show us some kind of acceptance?

What I really think it shows us is that deep down we all have this urge to be known. And not just known of or recognized, but known in a way that is unforgettable. We want others to know where we've come from, what we've conquered, especially if we are not currently surrounded by those who have seen much of our pasts. We want people to know how truly unique we are, to make us feel like there is no one who could fill the shoes of ourself. We want to be known intrinsically and in a way that tells us we are breathtaking, beautiful, witty, attractive, mysterious and a flavor all of our own.

But somehow I doubt that this is what is accomplished by mass mailers, retouched photos, elaborate layouts, popular song choices or even about me blurbs. So since it's clear and obvious that the desire to be known runs deep inside us, the question is: how can we quench this desire? Is it beyond quenching? Do we know of others who have found it?

I'm convinced that in my search of contentment, the answer to this question plays a profound role.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Excellent post, Julie. I often have to resist filling out those questionnaires. They seem fun, but at the same time they're a waste of time and really serve no purpose. Will people know me better if they know what my first pet's name was? Hardly. And why do we really need to be known anyway? Isn't it enough to seemly be?

Pfingston said...

hmmm, interesting . .
I - if you couldn't tell already - am one of "those" that do these type of memes . . .I enjoy reading them about others, and enjoy fililng them out myself . . but why? Well that is a good question . . . I like reading others because I do find that I may or may not have somthing in common with them that I didn't know before, often they make me laugh, too and I love a reason to laugh . . .but then, I'm a sociologist at heart and enjoy people and their trapings and often a meme is just a peek at the person that we wouldn't see otherwise. . .hmmm
Also reading this post the thought came into my head that God knows us as intmatly as can be, and some day we will know Him the same way.
That thought is just plain cool!